Week One: Theme and Social Media

    Hi, my name is Caleb Sanchez I have been fully enrolled here at MiraCosta for the 2020-2021 school year but have attended a few classes while still in High School. I work for a window tint company however I am trying to create a media company, right now I am focusing more on Real Estate Photography but in the future, we look to expand that into other forms of media. 

    The theme that I chose was Soho Dark. When I was browsing through the different themes Soho Neon was the one that caught my eye and I leaned toward that one but I figured it was a bit too dark and gloomy but I had a really nice photo that would go with that dark background and really stand out. Right next to that was Soho Dark which was ultimately the one that I chose. However, it is a bit lighter and more inviting and still has a nice dark theme that goes with the kinds of photos I like taking. 

    The layout seemed front the picture seemed clean and simple. I don't know how it will look with the posts but once I post this I will be able to tell if it's good or not. You can also let me know what you think about the layout and the theme. 


    I use social media platforms for my business as well as for personal use, I hardly post on social media I mainly have to follow some friends and family members that live close by. I also use SM for work but I don't post or do things enough to get people to follow, which is my main goal from this class is how to learn to increase my followers and help build a brand with SM. I mainly use Instagram and Facebook but hope to learn how to use all the different platforms to benefit my business and brand. 

    I think that the best platforms for personal use are Instagram, Twitter, & TikTok. I have used Instagram and it is fairly easy to post and engage with others and I haven't personally used Twitter but I have seen it and looked at tweets online but I don't see how it is much beneficial to businesses. That is what I think I could be wrong maybe there is a side to it that is very good for business but as of right now I don't see how it is benefiting. TikTok is a bit different I feel like at the moment it is better for leisure however I think within the next few months it will be very good for business to get on there since a lot of people are on it for a long time which is an excellent opportunity for different business to promote themselves. 

    The platform that I think is best for business is Facebook, TikTok, and maybe Instagram. I have personally seen how Facebook can benefit business, my dad is a real estate agent and he uses Facebook campaigns, and we have been able to generate a lot of leads through these campaigns so that is why I believe Facebook is a very essential and key part of Social Media for business. Instagram is pretty similar and has yielded some good results but nothing compared to Facebook so that is why I think it is essential for brands but is maybe in second or third place for SM for business. There is now a new player which is TikTok, there are so many people on the app and for very long periods of time which means that creating marketing campaigns will probably do very well on a platform like this. The only downside for a business is that they have to create a video not just a picture which does require a little more effort or getting the right people to do the job. I have started to see that TikTok is putting ads for some companies but they are mostly big Fortune 500 companies, but I think the shift is coming where there will be a lot of more mom and pop shops locally to you start putting ads on TikTok. This will increase the opportunity for business to market to younger and audience and increase their business.   

 

Comments

  1. Caleb,

    The versatility of Facebook has made it a great platform to make primary posts. The fact that it links up with Tik-Tok and Instagram makes it easy to make one post link to the other platforms. Bringing Twitter into the mix can be a good way to provide URL links to customers and potential customers to easily access the other social media platforms.
    You mentioned that you work for a window tint company, you are a photographer and that your father is in real estate. Mentioning the companies and your business in here could promote business. For instance, I am looking for a reasonably priced window tint company for a couple vehicles and some windows in a house.
    email: tymorissette@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ty,
      True I do like Twitter as way of posting things that are in written form as the best platform. Since a written post would not work on Instagram or TikTok. I sent you over an email about the window tinting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Caleb,

    I enjoy the simplicity of this theme as it is sleek and and still eye-catching! I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the template you chose! I also though your reasoning for choosing the social media sites you discussed as beneficial for both self and profession were interesting. I use social media all day everyday for my position, and I do agree with you that Twitter isn't always the best, as I find it works best with larger companies. I also believe that TikTok is extremely interesting. The hardest part about TikTok is their algorithm, so organic results for a businesses may be a bit difficult on there.

    Best of luck,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True the algorithm is very good in showing exactly what you want to see or things that you didn't even know you wanted to see. So organic results may be hard for the average small business without the knowledge of how to correctly take that into account.

      Delete
  3. Hi Caleb,
    First of all the first thing I noticed about your blog was the wonderful, colorful photo! So beautiful and full of natural beauty. It really does stand out nicely against the darker background. Your thoughts about the different forms of social media are very interesting and I love that you have the foresight to think ahead and realize TikTok may be shifting its ad space sometime soon to allow/benefit smaller businesses. Seeing as every other platform has done this it does make a lot of sense. On a side note, I have come across a LOT of local, small. businesses because of my friends. For example, they had some catering done and posted a pic on their page and their story. I actually saw it on their story, was interested and ended up hiring this company for a party I was throwing within a couple of weeks. Also, I trust using a company one of my friends has used before. The power of word of mouth is real. So, taking it back to your business ventures, I would say have your customers leave you a great Yelp review (I always check those), ask them to tag you if they post about your work, or even ask if YOU can tag them in a post. Something like, another great tint job on this awesome car. You'd be surprised how many people will share that post because 1. It's about them and 2. Their car looks so good after you tint it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked the photo. I took that in Sequoia National Park over a year ago. Stories have become a very popular feature and useful feature as per your experience. Also I have noticed a lot of new ads on stories which I'm is useful but the word of mouth or through social media's "mouth" for a lack of better terms, is always better since you feel that you an trust that company.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts